The guys over at WordPress.org have been developing WordPress 3.6 and have released a Beta version for testing.
The software is still in development and it is not recommended to use this on a production site it’s a version for people to play with and get used to what is new in 3.6.
Epic Plugins will be writing a series of short blog posts on WordPress 3.6 features, what they mean and how you can use them.
Here’s what’s new in 3.6:
- Post Formats: Post Formats now have their own UI, and theme authors have access to templating functions to access the structured data.
- Twenty Thirteen: We’re shipping this year’s default theme in our first release of the year. Twenty Thirteen is an opinionated, color-rich, blog-centric theme that makes full use of the new Post Formats support.
- Audio/Video: You can embed audio and video files into your posts without relying on a plugin or a third party media hosting service.
- Autosave: Posts are now autosaved locally. If your browser crashes, your computer dies, or the server goes offline as you’re saving, you won’t lose the your post.
- Post Locking: See when someone is currently editing a post, and kick them out of it if they fall asleep at the keyboard.
- Nav Menus: Nav menus have been simplified with an accordion-based UI, and a separate tab for bulk-assigning menus to locations.
- Revisions: The all-new revisions UI features avatars, a slider that “scrubs” through history, and two-slider range comparisons.